It’s September 23rd and I’m another year older. I’ve already eaten cake and blown a candle, which kind of makes the whole occasion more official. I’ve decided to take a rest day today so I’m home, reading a good book, eating more cake and perhaps reflecting on how being nineteen will turn out for me.
There’s nothing really special about turning nineteen, I guess. There’s only the fact that it’s my last hurrah as a teenager and I want to make the most out of it. I don’t mean partying hard or YOLO-ing. I just want to thrive and learn and be as happy or content as I can be. I was reading a post from Thought Catalog earlier called ‘A Checklist For The Age 19‘ and I’ve decided to take most of it to heart. Here are some of the things it reminded me to do:
- Try to be realistic without growing disillusioned.
- Find comfort in the reality that you are still a teenager and glaring errors are still permitted and perfection is still suspicious.
- Let your eyes grow wide.
- Keep your feet on the ground.
- Approach love consciously, in real time.
- Linger, savor, know now that there is no rush.
- Love on a day-to-day basis instead. Build slowly.
- Remember that you are not a coward, that you are invincible because you are still 19.
- Realize how lucky you got. Be grateful. Try to be worthy.
- Be gracious, be kind, eliminate self-pity. Look in the mirror and shift your internal monologue from ‘How do I look?’ to ‘This is my face,’ from ‘What the hell am I doing?’ to ‘This is my life.’
- Just keep going. Go, and do not stop.
I just hope this inspiration to have a good year being nineteen goes on and that when I reach the big two-oh next year I’ll be able to look behind the past years and find them meaningful. :)
Anyway, I’m going to stop being sappy and get to the fun part! It may not be obvious but giving away books makes me happy so I’m doing just that. I’ll be choosing 2 winners to receive any book/s of choice from to The Book Depository with a value up to $19. Just enter the rafflecopter widget below:
Good luck, book nerds! Hope you’re all having a great day because I sure am. *takes a bite of cake*