Many international authors have come and gone to the Philippines but only just recently did some fabulous New Adult rockstars come to meet their Filipino fans! Last weekend, Colleen Hoover, Tarryn Fisher and Christine Brae rocked Cebu and Manila and signed thousands’ of books, at their book tour event hosted by National Book Store.
If you guys don’t know, I’m a huge CoHo fan and meeting her was truly a dream come true. It was so great to meet Tarryn Fisher and Christine Brae too, who were both sweet and friendly. But I’m getting ahead of myself now. Let me share with you the full experience!
Q & A
- Tarryn doesn’t know that she can co-author with anyone else aside from Colleen. Both authors easily enjoyed writing their Never Never series.
- Christine thinks self-publishing is a lonely process. While it’s an experience, it’s one that you do by yourself- providing your own resources, having your own editors and finding your own readers.
- Tarryn loves that self-publishing allowed them to create their own success and show everyone that they could [do it].
- For Colleen, self-publishing is a life-changer and she likes not having a boss but thinks that for it is difficult for new authors to break into it.
- With finding inspiration for her stories, Colleen develops her characters first before the plot line. Having 12 books out in a span of 4 years, it’s difficult for her to write a story that’s new and fresh and not like the last one. Exciting tidbit about November 9: It has the biggest twist since Hopeless.
“The most important thing is to write the story that I want to write.” – Colleen Hoover
- Colleen explained that she didn’t know that she decided to write a New Adult book as she leaves the genre to the publishers.
- Tarryn waits to feel something and runs with it as she writes. A whole book forms around the emotion she’s currently feeling. She also writes everyday and puts herself in the mindset of her characters, joking that if she’s writing a serial killer, she kills people on the street all day long. (This woman is so funny!) She thinks this makes her writing more authentic.
- Colleen doesn’t have a writing schedule but likes to lock herself up for a few days to write. She mentioned that she can’t end her writing at a sad scene because she’ll feel that way until she continues the scene, which is why she insert bits of humour in her books so she can take a break.
- Christine reads the ending of every book she ever reads. *gasp* So when she starts writing, she always knows her ending.
- She also chooses character names with meaning while for Tarryn, it just falls into her head. Colleen cannot start a book until she knows a character’s name. She also thinks that it’s very important to choose a guy’s name that isn’t out there yet.
- I asked Colleen how music plays a role in her process and she answered that it does play a huge role especially when she’s trying to develop a story in her head. For November 9, she was listening to Unsteady by X Ambassadors. She’s also currently listening to 21 Pilots. Colleen also shared that The Avett Brothers inspired her to be a writer when she heard these lyrics at their concert: Decide what to be and go be it.
“Only you can see the world like you see it. Put it into writing and share it with the rest of us and it’ll be unique because it’s your thoughts.” – Tarryn Fisher
- Believable characters, a good story, strong beautiful words are what makes a great book for Tarryn. She thinks developing a style is really important. She recommends reading as much as you can then incorporating pieces of what you love into your own style.
- Tarryn likes to write about bad people and trying to take a new perspective on them.
- Since she started writing, Colleen feels like she lives in a fantasy world, only visiting her house every now and then. Living in her head, she thinks writing makes you crazy.
- Colleen’s ultimate writing goal is to make herself happy with the book she writes. For Tarryn, writing is a selfish process because she doesn’t care about anything else except for writing what she wants.
“I just write because I have so many words.” – Christine Brae
Colleen Hoover + the quote poster I made for her // the ever gorgeous Tarryn Fisher modelling for yours truly
These two are fricking adorable!
Awesome blogger friends – JM of Revelations of a Book Freak, Salve of Cuckoo for Books, Kevin of Tome Bound
Photos with the authors
Me + Christine Brae, Tarryn Fisher & Colleen Hoover
Group photos! (Photo from The Bookaholic Blurbs)
Win a SIGNED copy of CONFESS by Colleen Hoover, as well as two signed quote posters! Giveaway is open internationally! <3
If you missed last weekend’s event, you can still see these NA rockstars at MIBF on September 19! As always, huge thanks goes to National Book Store for hosting awesome events. Make sure to follow them on Twitter to see their updates and announcements!
Are you a fan of Colleen, Tarry or Christine? Which New Adult authors would you like to meet one day?
I loved this post, and I love these authors! Thank you for the giveaway!
Yay! You’re very much welcome!
This event looks like it was a lot of fun! I just started reading Colleen Hoover books and I am liking them so far! I loved hearing about their opinions on self publishing. Also, beautiful quote posters!
Ahhh SO AWESOME that you got to meet Colleen, I’m so jealous! XD I definitely have been wanting to check out Tarryn Fishers stuff for a while now and definitely going to be checking out Christine! :D
These events look like so much fun. I love the pictures and hearing about who was there.
I love reading your event recaps so much Hazel. (I secretly hope you go to more events just so I can read your recaps on the blog, I’m a horrible person.) I only ever read one of Colleen’s books but she wrote a quest post for my blog once and she was completely lovely to interact with and so enthusiastic to help <3 So I'm a bit jealous but also happy you got to meet those three!
It is so exciting when you meet one of your favourite authors. Glad you got to meet Colleen.
so happy for you you got to meet 3 awesome authors
Wonderful post, Hazel! #CTCinPH is definitely one of the best book signing events I have ever attended. <3 Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher are so adorable! Such a great opportunity to meet them.
I really want to meet CoHo but her books are so expensive I couldn’t afford them! I hope I win! Your posters are also sooo pretty. :)
Great recap Hazel. I didn’t get a chance to go to the event due to other stuffs, but seeing your post about it make me wish I was there too. Colleen is one of my favorite authors and I really love her books. Hope they can visit again in the future. Btw, those quote posters are so beautiful, I will definitely get them framed if I won your giveaway. Ha-ha Thanks again for the chance. <3 <3
I was supposed to go to but I went down with the flu last weekend. Lucky you! I totally wanted to see Colleen Hoover in person. But I’m glad you enjoyed the event. :)
I won’t get to meet them this time but I’m so happy for you!!
These authors are so awesome!! <3
Thanks for the giveaway!
Hi Hazel, I envy you for this booksigning event! Was it private for bloggers like you or what? I want to see them so close like this and have a little talk with them. You are so lucky!! :D Anyway, I love this review of Hello Goodbye and Everything in between by Jennifer Smith (http://www.staybookish.com/hello-goodbye-and-everything-in-between-by-jennifer-e-smith-blog-tour-giveaway/). I read all of her books and I can say that I’m impressed. Just got a little bored at her “This is what happy looks like” book, I don’t know, maybe I don’t have a celebrity friend and the like at all. Lol. Another thing, can we meet? Or can I join your book club/s? I just want to be friends to every bookworm in the world lol. If you just know how I feel when I’m a bookworm alone at home and I have no one to share my opinions and feelings about books. Okay, I think this is a confession na. Yes, just like the book Confess, you might want to draw/paint something about my feelings. Haha! Kidding! Okay, good day! Please stay safe and more powers. xoxo
You are so luuuucky Hazel!!!! I really really want to meet Colleen but I live 2 hrs away from Manila and I’ve got tons of schoolwork. Thank you for the giveaway!
You’re so lucky to meet them. They’re all gorgeous. I’ve wanted to read CoHo books cause I heard that all her books are totally good!
Thanks for the giveaway! Your blog is AMAZING!! :D
I loved this post, you are so lucky you got to meet them. Hopefully I’ll be able to one day. A few days ago I went on a frenzy and buyed most of the ebooks by CoHo, but not this one. It would be so awsome if I get a chance to win. And love your posters, they are so pretty and beautiful.
Thanks for the giveaway! :-)
This was wonderful; getting to know more about the authors. I love Colleen especially, and to know that you enjoyed her books as well, and that you’ve met her, has left me overjoyed. Sometimes I dream of meeting you two and just chatting over whatever we want to eat.
I am so jealous and everything :((((((((((( I really want to go to the book signing but I can’t because of schoolworks and I dont have enough money to buy books as of now huhuhuhu there are a lot of expenses hays but I’m really happy for you Hazel that you met them <3 So, I'm really looking forward on winning this giveaway to release my sadness and bitterness hahahahaha :((( thanks by the way!!!
Aw :( Let’s stay hopeful that there’ll be a next time!
What an incredible event, Hazel! I saw some of the videos that Colleen posted and the response from the fans there was just amazing! Meeting an author whose work means so much to you is very special. Out of my three favorite authors, I have met two of them. Only Colleen remains. Hopefully one day soon I’ll get to change that. Glad you were able to meet them all and have such a memorable time!
She’s been updating about her tour non-stop and I’m so happy that she’s enjoying her stay here so far! It really was amazing to meet Colleen. I’m sure you will too some day! :)
Ahh it must be awesome to meet them! I’ve only read one Colleen’s books, Maybe Someday, and I love it very much. Looking forward to read another book by her and the other authors :)
It really was! I LOVE Maybe Someday too! I’m sure you’ll enjoy the rest of her books. :D
The quote posters are GORGEOUS!!! <3 So happy you got to meet them! Colleen's hair is fab.
Thanks, Zaira!!! I’m so happy too. <3
Lucky you :)
Fantastic post,it’s good to know more about your favorite authors :)
Thanks for the awesome giveaway!
I love when bloggers share the book events they attend since we don’t have anything like that near where I live, so thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading the Q&A, it’s interesting to see their thoughts on self-publishing, and their writing process.
Great blogpost! CTCinPh is my first booksigning and I don’t regret losing sleep. It was so great meeting these beautiful ladies and gracing their signatures on our books. I’m such a huge CoHo fan. Thank you for sharing their interview and also for hosting this giveaway.
You’re so lucky!! I did not get a chance to attend the book signing here in Cebu. Thanks to you I got to know them a little more and have the chance to have a signed book. Thank you so much for the giveaway!
*chants* must not be depressed.
I’m not depressed. Just really disappointed that I missed this signing all because of school. Thanks for this recap, Hazel. Your photos are amazing! :D
What an excellent recap, Hazel! I still think it’s awesome that you got to meet one of your favorite authors. And I definitely have titles from these ladies on my TBR! Love the quote art too <3
Congrats on getting so many books signed! so jealous!!! Thanks so much for the giveaway!
I love your event recaps!:) Did you say hi to Colleen for me?:)
Thanks, dear! I did! ;)
News flash: I haven’t read any CoHo books yet (*hides*) but I’ve heard many good things! I might start with her Maybe Someday soon :) Thanks for the giveaway Hazel! (THOSE POSTERS ARE GORGEOUS!!!!)
What’s there to say? I love CoHo and her writing style, her caracters,… She’s the queen!
Awesome recap, as always. Huhu It made me feel sad again for not going to the signing. I love them all and I’ve read all of their books, but I have no one to go with to the signing. :( Thank you for the awesome giveaway! I hope I win omg please
Thank you Hazel for this recap! I’m very happy that you were able to meet and greet them which is so #bookish goals! Heehee.
Wow! you are such a very lucky woman! I’m a fan of Colleen Hoover and she rocks! I wish I met her during her stay in Manila though :(
I am so jealous you got to meet Coho!!!!
Thanks for the giveaway Hazel! :)♥
Best of luck! <3
Awesome recap! I find it really helpful that you included what the authors talked about, especially their writing process and little tips they gave. I always try to take notes when authors talk about those topics since I’m an aspiring novelist myself. :)
Awesome! I`d love to meet Collen one day. She is an amazing person!
I met CoHo but it was short and sweet. You are so lucky to talk to her plus the other two authors! Your photos are so cute! :)
Love the quote posters, Hazel!! Thank you for the chance! <3
Ahhh, I`m so happy for you! I hope one day I`ll meet CoHo :)
Thank you! I hope you meet her too someday! 😊